Tuesday, June 20, 2017

In The Company Of Soldiers


Rick Atkinson- In The Company Of Soldiers- A Chronicle Of Combat- I have never been to war that is why as Robert E Lee played by  Martin Sheen in Gettysburg stated  "it is well that war is so terrible lest we would grow too fond of it" Sheen supposedly looked and acted just like Lee- The Killer Angels is a book based on the movie. Since I never have been to war I always sought it out in realistic terms, that is why I would be a good combat correspondent. I am not afraid to fire a few rounds downrange and nobody physically intimidates me either so I may be the perfect fit. That is why I admire guys like Rick Atkinson, he was standing right next To General Petraeus during the invasion of Iraq. Petraeus was a two star general at the time, he was locked in tight and ready to roll at 50 years old. He was beating privates in push up contests, that is quite pathetic for the little kid to get out gunned by a 50 year old in push ups. I could do a few push ups back then and right now I am around what Petraeus age was then and I know for sure that I would still be able to hang. Being in a war zone is much different then just being able to do a few push ups and pull ups I believe, with all of the excitement and built up pressure. Everybody was excited to get their CIB- Combat Infantry Badge- I want to get in shape and then deploy to a war zone, as long as I can take my dog I will be good to go. If I was deployed to a war zone there would be no subterfuge or embellishment. I would report the straight story without any Rita Katz propaganda videos or any other bull shit to boot. If something is not in Americas best interest then this is the story that will be told. There would be no kissing ass and not taking names but rather there would be a lot of kicking ass and taking names. There were a lot of solid leaders that were involved with the Iraq invasion, there wasn't  much the lower and higher ranking officers could do when the decisions were already coming down from the higher up civilian war monger bureaucrats. I want to deploy to a war zone because I am sick of writing about it when I know for sure that I would be pretty good actually in it. I would need about a 6 month train up to learn what I never really learned before without breaking my body down, that is why it cant be a 90 day 18 year old boot camp scenario. I read Fiasco and felt very confident asking the real deal warriors in the train up zone questions, knowledge mixed in with true humility is the first step toward success in any field. Being a soldier or a combat correspondent is a higher calling and there is nothing higher then representing the worlds number 1 superpower in a war zone with no sugar coating or bs. I am not going to name names however I believe that some war books that I read were really cia operatives that were not telling the truth the whole truth and nothing but. In other words I believe that many of these so called first hand account war zone books are nothing more then propaganda based fiction mixed in with some non fiction. If we weren't  really there and they have cover from many others then this more then likely will never be able to be proven. My book would be non fiction, if its a boring war like Anthony Swofford experienced in Gulf War 1 played by Jake Gyllenhaal in the movie Jarhead which is also a book then so be it. Our Army warrior 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles had a lot to be proud of going into Iraq, its too bad they were sent in with one hand tied behind their back. After reading this book I learned to respect Petraeus. I wasn't sure because Charlie Strange said that he was "David I never stepped on a battlefield Petraeus" in a way that made him appear like an inferior leader. He is very competitive and smart I learned at least that much about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment