Friday, August 17, 2018

Shane The Highlander

Shane was a floppy eared red Doberman, the cutest one around. His bud was named Kona another floppy eared red Doberman. Shane did a lot of good for many people and Kona learned to love him as well. Kona was on his way out with cancer and only three legs. I used to go running with Kona with him in that condition, it didn't seem to bother him much. On the last day of Shane's life he wanted to roll with the big boys. The big boys in this case were Jake another beautiful k-9 that made everybody happy. I let Shane know that he couldn't roll with the big boys because he had heartworm and he was just too old. No dog wants to be told that he is too old especially Shane. He came up to the top of the driveway and asked if he could partake in a neighborhood run but was told to go home.
  That evening Shane burst into my door with a terrible sound that was emanating all the way down into and through his soul. I couldn't do much except give him water, by then I knew it would be just a matter of time. I will never forget how he burst through my door  letting me know that it was his time. As I look back I feel that maybe he was showing appreciation and gratitude for helping to give him a good life full of joy and warmth. He was picked out of a litter from a Doberman farm in the Poconos.  Dobermans don't live that long, hip dysplasia among other things. This is a celebration of a great and beautiful dog named Shane. Every dog dies but not every dog gets the chance to really live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment