Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Train Ups The Only Way

There is a real shortage of special forces guys and I don't see that changing any time soon. In recent years there have been back door programs for students not just for seals but usmc marsoc and The Army has a sf program 18x-Ray as well.The only problem is that most young guys I ever tried to recruit never had any interest. I only approached people that had superior leadership, intelligence and great physical skills. A perfect example was a stud college lax player, this kid was breaking 6 minute miles and cranking well over 20 pull ups and swam like a fish as well.The only thing he wanted me to do was help him get in the door at a Wall Street Firm.I told him that the street is a shark tank and you can always give that a shot later on after you come out because you are going to need all of the warrior skills one can handle if you are able to get into a major brokerage house.I even tried to get one of my iron man tri friends to at least give the hell week simulation a whirl w/ me.This man had countless 26 mile marathons 112 mile bike rides and swims under his belt but he simply couldn't do any real push ups or pull ups.Its a bad situation when one has that kind of endurance and mental toughness but no real strength.Marcus Lutrull caught some heat because some critics said that the train up guy he used w/ his brother wasn't real deal sf etc..The bottom line is he made it and 80% do not.It inst a good situation for the ones that do not make it because this means that regardless of where they came from generally speaking they would be sent out or back to the fleet.This is more like jail on some ship or sub out in the middle of nowhere.A Teams guy that was getting his MBA told a whole bunch of us that morale sucks on the fleet and there is plenty of low level thug behavior and alot stealing going on.That is why train ups can be so effective.Think about it turning an 80% attrition rate into 80% success that is truly a remarkable Olympic type training program.I was 23 for ocs usmc. I was ready to run through brick walls w/ a 17:20 3 mile run 100 push ups 20 pull ups and 100 sit ups no problem and I was really hungry.The only problem was I didn't have an effective train up. I did this all on my own w/ no rotc just a pretty good pep talk from my JAG friend and my captain.If I gave Capt Bissets program a shot at 23 I may have had a chance.The reason for this is because I would have received military indoc at The Great Lakes after already been toughened up so this would have made the transition much easier. I went into ocs w/ no military indoc surrounded by Annapolis Citadel reserve devil dogs even active duty sergeants.Physically I was in the top 10% of the company however I was in way over my head because I am not Mr pick everything up on the fly. I really needed Paris Island or at least a military school behind me. Some devil dogs made it all the way through like my jag friend and friend from high school who was also on my football team. He was a great player who made it as a walk on at Penn State. I needed alot of drills and repetition there was no way I was really ready for ocs usmc. I have alot of respect for my football player and jag friend.We had the best defense in GHS history w/ a linebacker who had a full ride to Penn State.I will continue on w/ my spec forces recruiting because there are alot of lessons I learned that I can share w/ others. .  

No comments:

Post a Comment